November 11th Remembrance Day 2014

June 1940 anything that floated was the order of the day, a flotilla of hundreds of merchant marine boats, fishing boats,pleasure boats and life boats were called into service to ferry service men off the shores of Dunkirk. The Allied soldiers were being evacuated to the British Destroyers and other large ships, under the code name Operation Dynamo also known as the Miracle of Dunkirk!
My father was one of the 338,226 soldiers who managed to board one of the 800 boats which brought the men back to England during the evacuation. He never really spoke about any of the battle details, but we always had a large book on the book shelf which detailed many of the battles both with stories and pictures, perhaps his way of tell us to find out for yourself. We did often hear about funny events during his time in the army. One of the stories around the supper table we would hear my father talk about was how happy the men were to be back on British soil, they all jumped off the boat into the water but they didn’t realize the water was full of oil and they all came up black. Never the less happy to have survived the Battle of Dunkirk.

When my father first joined the Allied forces in England he went to the famous ¬†Tailor’s of Savile Row in central London to have his uniform custom made, for this he took quite the dressing down from his Major. It seems to me a good deal of my fathers involvement during the war has been a guarded secret. But we did hear a few of the funny stories from time to time. One of my fathers duties’ was a Dispatch Rider on a British BSA motorcycle, the bike the Royal Enfield was modled after. During this time he met my mother a young war time nurse, they were married in 1942. He occasionally complained about being cold on the bike, he thought she would knit him a sweater instead she knitted him a single sock with a sack, needless to say she didn’t want him to be cold and at 84 years of age she still told that story bringing much laughter to the table.
Joseph Pospisil went into the war as a private and came out a Lieutenant, when the war ended he stayed in for an additional 6 months of service.
Today I thank him along with all the service personal who fought for the life we live today.
Lest we forget!